Maintaining a good level of Care and Hygiene is vital in helping ensure the long-term success and health of your dental implant. Through a combination of regular dental checkups, regular monitoring of the health of the dental implant, and having a strict dental schedule, including brushing, flossing, and dental mouthwash, will help maintain the implant and surrounding teeth & help prevent the collection of bacteria and plaque within the mouth.
However at the Periodontist we are always keen to tell our patients, these 5 most important implant care and hygiene tips that will help maintain a healthy dental implant, these are;
- Brush twice, or more, daily this is a rare practice for us as Kenyans but it’s very important.
- Flossing is extremely important to get rid of the food remains that brushing cannot. Helping ensure that the root itself is not directly susceptible to bacterial/plaque growth.
- Keep the fizzy drinks and sweets to a minimum, this will help keep low sugar levels within the mouth
- Mouthwash, twice a day. It’s important that the mouth has on-going protection throughout the day, in-between brushing.
- Regular brushing of the gums and tongue. Most patients do not realize that gum irritation can be caused by the build up of bacteria on the gums, leading to Periodontal diseases. Additionally, the tongue itself acts as a sponge for bacteria, so regular cleaning is extremely important
To Learn More about our Dental Implants, click here.
First Published on Clean Idea Dental